As more people adopt plant-based diets for health, environmental, and ethical reasons, meal prepping has become an essential tool for making healthy, delicious, and affordable plant-based meals. Here are some plant-based meal prep ideas and recipes to help you stay on track with your health and fitness goals.
Buddha bowls are a trendy and nutritious way to meal prep for plant-based diets. These bowls are typically made with a base of grains or greens, topped with a variety of colorful veggies, legumes, nuts, seeds, and a delicious sauce. Buddha bowls are easy to customize, so you can make them to your liking.
Here’s a recipe for a Southwest Quinoa Buddha Bowl:
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- Divide the cooked quinoa into four meal prep containers.
- Top the quinoa with black beans, corn kernels, cherry tomatoes, avocado, red onion, and cilantro.
- Drizzle the dressing over each bowl and add a lime wedge on top.
- Store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Overnight Oats
Overnight oats are a simple and healthy plant-based breakfast that you can make in advance. All you need is some rolled oats, your favorite plant milk, and your preferred sweetener and toppings.
Here’s a recipe for Chocolate Banana Overnight Oats:
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup plant milk
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a jar or container with a lid, mix together the rolled oats, plant milk, chia seeds, cocoa powder, banana, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
- Stir well and cover the container with a lid.
- Store in the fridge overnight or for at least 4 hours.
- Top with sliced banana, chopped nuts, or granola before serving.
- Chickpea Curry
Curries are an easy and flavorful way to meal prep for plant-based diets. This chickpea curry recipe is packed with protein, fiber, and veggies, making it a perfect lunch or dinner option.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can dice tomatoes
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the diced onion and minced garlic and sauté until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the curry powder, cumin, coriander, turmeric, and cayenne pepper and stir